Current Affairs wrap for the day: January 19th, 2019
Get all the big national and international news and stay up to date with Current Affairs and General Knowledge to prepare for competitive exams.
Support our journalism by subscribing to Scroll+
We welcome your comments at
G77 chairmanship take over by Palestine
- The chairmanship position, which is given on a rotational basis, was supposed to be an Asian country.
- Palestine took over the role from Egypt which was representing the African continent.
- G77 is a group of 134 nations and China which generally tries to have a consensual voice at UN.
- China provides political and financial support to the group but does not consider itself as a member.
Union Defence Minister inaugurated Diffo Bridge in Arunachal Pradesh
- Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharama inaugurated the 426.60 metre long bridge over Diffo river in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The bridge connects Dibang Valley and Lohit Valley in eastern region of the state.
- Border Roads Organisation undertook the construction of the bridge under Project Udayank.
USA and North Korea to hold a summit in February
- This will be the second summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
- The exact venue is yet to be decided and will be announced in the near future.
- The first meeting between the two leaders took place in Singapore on June 12th, 2018.
- The denuclearisation issue will be the primary agenda of the meeting according to the White House.