Current Affairs wrap for the day: February 2nd, 2019
Get all the big national and international news and stay up to date with Current Affairs and General Knowledge to prepare for competitive exams.
Support our journalism by subscribing to Scroll+
We welcome your comments at
Modi government final budget offered tax rebate, pension scheme, and income support
- Piyush Goyal presented Modi government’s last budget, which was an interim one, on Friday.
- The budget offered among other things full tax rebate for people earning less than 5 lakh, income support for farmers, and pension scheme for workers working in unorganised sector.
- Modi government termed the budget as strengthening the middle class.
- The opposition stated the budget is an election manifesto.
- The budget also unveiled the government Vision 2030 list 10 dimensions which included improved infrastructure, cleaner air, and responsible bureaucracy.
Academician and author Anand Teltumbde arrested
- Teltumbde was arrested at Mumbai airport at 3.30 am for his alleged involvement in violence at Bhima Koregaon near Pune in 2018.
- Pune court had rejected his anticipatory bail application on Friday.
- Pune police had arrested five activists - Shoma Sen, Surendra Gadling, Mahesh Raut, Rona Wilson and Sudhir Dhawale - in June in connection to the violence.
Meeting to choose next CBI chief inconclusive
- The panel led by PM Modi could not come to any conclusion regarding the appointment of new CBI chief.
- This was the second meeting related to the appointment of CBI chief.
- The interim role of CBI chief is being served by Nageshwar Rao after Alok Verma was transferred to another department.
- Alok Verma has resigned from the new position.