Bhuvneshwar Kumar is unlikely to take part in any of the three remaining Tests of India’s tour of England, according to a report in Mumbai Mirror.
The 28-year-old fast bowler had aggravated a lower back injury during the third and final One-Day International against England prior to the Test series and was not named in the Indian squad for the first three Tests out of five. The selectors had said Bhuvneshwar could be added to the squad at a later stage depending on how fast he recovers.
However, Mumbai Mirror quoted officials at the National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru as saying that Bhuvneshwar is unlikely to recover in time for the last two Tests. The fast bowler is undergoing his rehabilitation at the NCA. The Indian squad for the last two Tests is scheduled to be announced after the third Test at Trent Bridge, which begins on Saturday.
The good news for India is that Jasprit Bumrah, who did not play the first two Tests, is now fully fit. The report also said that senior members of the Indian team and management had a long meeting with the players after the Lord’s defeat, where they asked the team to approach the series as a three-Test contest. India currently trail in the five-match series 0-2.
“We’ve agreed that we messed up in Lord’s and got outplayed,” an unnamed team official told the daily. “But the fact was when we batted the conditions were damp and when we bowled, the weather was sunny. It is not an excuse but the fact was the luck was not on our side.”
India are likely to ring in more changes to their playing XI at Trent Bridge, with reports stating that wicketkeeper batsman Rishabh Pant is likely to make his Test debut at the expense of Dinesh Karthik, who has not impressed so far.