Alleging irregularities in the results of the non-technical popular categories exam conducted by the Railway Recruitment Board, several job aspirants clashed with the police in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh on Tuesday, the Hindustan Times reported.
Apart from pointing out anomalies in recruitments, the candidates have claimed that the cut-off was very high and that a single candidate was selected for several roles, limiting the opportunities for other aspirants, according to News18.
The results of the first round of exams had been declared on January 14 and January 15.
Some candidates have also alleged that the recruiters have favoured candidates with higher education for posts that require fewer qualifications.
As of now, the second round of the exam that was to be held on February 15 stands cancelled, according to PTI.
Amid the protest, train services were disrupted at many places in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh on Tuesday. The protesters squatted on railway tracks opposing the Railway Recruitment Board’s decision to hold the exams in two rounds.
They also set a passenger train on fire and threw stones at police in Bihar’s Arrah town, ANI reported.
In Patna city, the police fired tear gas shells and used water cannons to disperse students protesting against the alleged irregularities in the results, ANI reported.
Several persons were injured as students clashed with the police at Sitamarhi railway station, ANI reported. The police had reportedly opened fire in the air.
In Uttar Pradesh, the police on Tuesday cracked down on students who allegedly tried to stop a train at the Prayag Junction in Prayagraj city as a mark of protest, the Hindustan Times reported. The personnel reportedly used mild force to disperse the students.
Later on Tuesday, the protestors shouted slogans before the Kanpur Intercity city. Here, personnel from Government Railway Police and Railway Protection Force tried to passify the demonstrators.
The Railway Recruitment Board has issued a notice warning the job aspirants against indulging in vandalism.
“Such misguided activities are [the] highest level of indiscipline rendering such aspirants unsuitable for Railway/Government job[s],” the statement from the board said.
The recruitment body also stated that videos of the protests will be examined and police action will be taken against candidates who have indulged in unlawful activities.
A committee headed by Principal Executive Director (industrial relations) in the railway ministry, Deepak Peter Gabriel, was formed on Wednesday to resolve the matter, according to The Indian Express.
The aspirants can also mail their concerns and suggestions to the panel on the website firstname.lastname@example.org, till February 12. The committee will examine the complaints and give its recommendations by March 4.
Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said on Wednesday that the Railway Recruitment Board chairpersons had been directed to listen to students’ concerns and inform the committee about them, ANI reported.