Twin car bombings kill at least 46, wound 100 in Homs, Syria
Monitoring group Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the attacks were one of the deadliest seen in the five years of fighting in the country.
At least 46 people were killed and around 100 others wounded in twin car bomb blasts in Homs city, Syria, on Sunday, according to monitoring group Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. State media has confirmed what is believed to be one of the deadliest attacks on the city during the five-year-long civil war, Reuters reported.
Pro-Damascus television channels aired footage that showed charred corpses buried under rubble, damaged shops and debris. There were a number of cars were on fire, shrouding the area in plumes of black smoke, and injured people walking around in a daze. State television quoted the governor of Homs as saying that at least 25 people had been killed.
The attacks come as a number of Syrian Opposition groups put forward a set of new conditions to enforce a ceasefire in the country, according to Al Jazeera. They said they would agree to the “possibility” of a temporary truce if the government of President Bashar al-Assad and its allies respected a ceasefire, lifted sieges and allowed the delivery of aids across the war-torn nation. In response, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said on Saturday that he was ready for a ceasefire, provided terrorists do not try to use the halt in fighting to their advantage and that countries supporting militant groups stop backing them. Earlier this month, world powers had agreed to a temporary ceasefire in Syria.