The Uttar Pradesh government on Monday transferred Mathura's District Magistrate Rajesh Kumar and Senior Superintendent of Police Rakesh Kumar Singh after 29 people, including two policemen, were killed during an eviction drive at Jawahar Bagh, reported The Indian Express. Jalaun Superintendent of Police Babloo Kumar will replace Singh as SSP, and while the district magistrate will now be Nitin Chandra Shukla.
The Supreme Court on Tuesday will hear, on urgent basis, a plea seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation inquiry into incident, The Hindu reported. Advocate Kamini Jaiswal asked for an urgent hearing before a vacation bench of justices PC Ghose and Amitava Roy, adding that pieces of evidence were being destroyed. Members of the Aam Aadmi Party have also met Home MInister Rajnath Singh, asking for a CBI investigation into the violence, India Today said.
The violence took place on June 2 during when police reportedly tried to evict around 2,000 illegal occupants from a plot in Jawahar Bagh in Mathura, following an Allahabad High Court order. The occupants were reportedly members of a sect called Swadheen Bharat Vidhik Satyagrahi who had been camping out at the space for around two-and-a-half years. District administration said they had given protestors an ultimatum to vacate the premises on April 15, adding that they had unsuccessfully attempted to evict them from the area on May 25.
Police have till date arrested at least 368 people in connection with the incident. Investigators have also recovered a huge cache of arms from the site of the clash.