Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister, who took charge of the government after a Supreme Court verdict on Wednesday, has sought more time to prove his majority in the state Assembly, reported Hindustan Times. The acting governor of the state, Tathagata Roy, on Thursday asked Tuki to take a floor test on July 16.

"The direction to prove my majority on the floor of the House on or before July 16 gives me less than 48 hours' time since my arrival in Itanagar today. Many of my colleagues/MLAs are out of station, and I am trying to contact them," the 52-year-old said. Calling the governor's direction "hasty" and "completely unwarranted", Tuki wrote to Roy and sought "reasonable time" for a floor test. The Congress currently has 15 legislators in the 58-member state Assembly.

He cited the Sarkaria Commission’s recommendations on holding a floor test that states, "Generally, it will be reasonable to allow the chief minister a period of 30 days for the summoning of the Assembly, unless there is very urgent business to be transacted like passing the Budget, in which case, a shorter period may be allowed. In special circumstances, the period may go up to 60 days."

On Wednesday, a Supreme Court bench directed a status quo ante (a return to the original status) in the state as it prevailed on December 15, 2015, when it was placed under President’s Rule. The party currently has 15 legislators in the 58-member state Assembly.

While hearing a petition filed against a Gauhati High Court verdict regarding Rajkhowa's decision to bring forward the Winter Session of the Assembly without consulting Tuki, the apex court quashed the discretionary powers of governors to summon or advance House sessions. This verdict is applicable not just to the state, but to the entire country.

With the ruling, dissident Congress leader Kalikho Pul, who was sworn in as the chief minister on February 20, no longer holds the post. The court also said that all orders passed by Rajkhowa after December 9, 2015, are unsustainable.