A preliminary probe into the Scorpene data leak case indicated that the security breach occurred at the DCNS office in France, and not in India, Navy chief Admiral Sunil Lanba said on Saturday, reported PTI. Lanba, who was speaking at the launch of guided-missile destroyer Mormugao in Mumbai, said a "high-level committee" was studying the case. Over 22,000 pages of classified information on submarines being built by the French company in association with the Indian Navy were made public on the website of a daily called The Australian.
Lanba said, "Based on this inquiry, we will see what needs to be done, whether any mitigation measures are required or not. In France, DCNS and the French government have launched an inquiry." Some of the data leaked includes details about the vessels' underwater warfare system, but Indian Navy officials have said that the breach did not compromise the country's security because all crucial parameters regarding the vessels had been censored.
Indian officials had recently indicated an end to DCNS proposal for three new submarines. The French company had said the data leak may have been part of an economic warfare strategy against the defence contractor. India had ordered six Scorpene submarines worth $3 billion (Rs 20,000 crore approximately). The first batch underwent trials in May, and the first of the submarines – INS Kalvari – was expected to be inducted into the Navy in November.