The Centre does not have enough proof to declare right-wing organisation Sanatan Sanstha a “terror outfit”, the Union government informed the Bombay High Court on Wednesday. The central government’s response was made in connection with a plea filed by Vinay Rokade, which sought a ban on the organisation under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act, PTI reported.
In his petition, Rokade had told the court that the state government had forwarded a proposal to the Centre in 2012 recommending a ban on the organisation, but that the Centre did not act on it. The Maharashtra government’s proposal was based on Anti-Terrorism Squad reports and inputs. “The government of Maharashtra has reached to the conclusion that Sanatan Sanstha organisation is liable to be banned under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act,” the government had said in an affidavit filed in connection with the case in 2012.
The Centre told the court it had gone through the material provided to it, but had not found enough evidence to take the step. The Centre’s lawyer said the state government had been asked to furnish further documents to support the proposal. The court said, “Show us the communication between the Union and state governments. All this cannot be orally stated.” It asked that the Centre's submissions be made within four weeks.
A member of the organisation is a key accused in the murder of writer and rationalist Narendra Dabholkar. The Sanstha had also been accused of being responsible for an explosion in Goa in 2009, and for bombings in Vashi, Thane and Panvel in 2007.