The Assam government will pay Rs 5 lakh each to the families of those who were killed during the anti-illegal immigrants movement in the state between 1979 and 1985, which has come to be known as the Assam Agitation. The amount will be handed over to the families during the Swahid Divas anniversary at Khanapara Veterinary College on December 10, reported the Assam Tribune.
The Bharatiya Janata Party-led state government will also install a memorial in Guwahati showcasing the contribution of the protestors, a government official told The Times of India. These decisions were taken during a meeting between the leaders of the All Assam Students’ Union, which had spearheaded the movement, and state Chief Secretary VK Pipersenia [pictured above] on Wednesday.
So far, 855 people are on the list of protestors who were killed. “The list for awarding the ex gratia payment will be prepared by the All Assam Students’ Union and Swahid Nirjyatita Nyas and will be finalised in consultation with the state government,” said an official.
The move has taken almost 31 years after the Assam Accord was signed between government representatives and the leaders of the Assam Agitation. During Wednesday’s meeting, it was also decided that the government will set up separate offices under the Assam Accord Implementation Department to see that various provisions of the accord are execute
The six-year-long agitation started after AASU leaders demanded that names of “foreign nationals” be deleted from electoral rolls in 1978. They later launched an agitation, forcing the government to identify and expel illegal immigrants. The agitation was primarily non-violent except the Nellie massacre that took place in 1983.