Kerala Director General of Police Lokanath Behera on Thursday ordered an investigation into allegations that the Popular Front of India was receiving foreign funding to carry out religious conversions in the state, Manorama reported. Behera’s order is based on India Today’s report from Tuesday, which accused the outfit of carrying out mass proselytisation.
The Kerala Police also released details of five people from the state believed to be fighting for the Islamic State group in Syria, the Hindustan Times reported. The missing youths were identified as Abdul Gayoom, Abdul Manaf, Muhamed Shabeer, Suhail and Saffan.
Kannur Deputy Superintendent of Police PP Sadanandan said UK Hamza – a suspected recruiter for the Islamic State who was arrested on October 25 – had identified some of the youth during interrogation. “However, we have yet to understand how they reached Syria and who funded them,” he added.
Sadanandan claimed that the missing men were members of the Popular Front of India, according to India Today. The report quoted unidentified police officers as saying that the five had travelled to Syria on fake passports. Suhail’s wife Rizwan is also believed to be among the missing youths.
Meanwhile, Home Minister Rajnath Singh said appropriate action would be taken based on the reports. “We have taken cognisance of it,” he said on Thursday. “We had been getting some information. Whatever lawful and appropriate action is possible, it will be taken based on some more information.”
On Wednesday, Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad had claimed that terrorist activities were going on in Kerala in the name of “love jihad”. Calling for a ban on the organisation, he had said that “forced religious conversions” by the Popular Front of India were a serious national issue.