A 20-year-old student died and four people were injured on Sunday after a fault in a connection sent 11,000 volts of electricity to more than 100 houses in Kuan Patti area in Meerut’s Incholi village in Uttar Pradesh, The Times of India reported on Monday. Electric appliances being used at the time exploded due to the sudden surge in supply. Indian households normally receive 220 volts of current.

Satendra Das, who died, was plugging in his charger when it exploded. The others have burn injuries from the exploding appliances. One of them also lost their house in the fire that followed.

Chief Engineer of the Paschimanchal Vidyut Vitaran Nigam Ltd SB Yadav told The Times of India that the company was trying to find out what had caused the surge in electricity. “An inquiry committee has been set up,” Yadav said. “Satendra’s family has been given a cheque of Rs 5 lakh. The three women who got serious burns have been admitted to hospital, and those who received minor burns have been sent home after primary treatment.”

Superintendent of Police (Rural) Rajesh Kumar told the newspaper that 110 houses in the area received 11,000 volts of current. “All the electrical appliances that were working at the time of the fault...burst and got charred,” he added.

Angered by Satendra Das’ death, local residents blocked NH-119 for several hours. They kept his body on the highway. They dispersed only on Sunday evening after Additional District Magistrate (City) Mukesh Chandra and the superintendent of police led a delegation to negotiate with them, The Times of India reported.