The big news: Mayawati alleges BJP wrongdoing in Rajya Sabha elections, and 9 other top stories
Other headlines: Andhra Pradesh CM Naidu accused Amit Shah of spreading lies, and Lalu Prasad Yadav was sentenced to a 14-year jail term in fodder scam case.
A look at the headlines right now:
- Mayawati claims BJP used malpractices to win the ninth seat in Uttar Pradesh: The BSP chief said her party’s defeat would not affect the tie-up with the Samajwadi Party.
- Andhra Pradesh CM Chandrababu Naidu says Amit Shah’s letter is ‘full of false information’: The Telugu Desam Party leader accused the BJP national president of spreading lies.
- Lalu Prasad Yadav sentenced to 14 years in prison in fodder scam’s Dumka treasury case: He was awarded seven years each under the Indian Penal Code and the Prevention of Corruption Act, and both sentences will run consecutively.
- British investigators raid Cambridge Analytica’s office in London: The India government sent a notice to the British firm asking whether it had used data of Indian users.
- BJP emerges as the single-largest party in Rajya Sabha after elections, but NDA is still short of a majority: The saffron party won nine of the 10 seats in Uttar Pradesh, and one each in Karnataka, Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh.
- Telugu Desam Party’s move to quit NDA ‘solely guided by political considerations’, says Amit Shah: In an open letter to Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu, the BJP national president said the decision was unfortunate and unilateral.
- Security researcher finds serious flaw in Aadhaar system that leaves data open for download, says report: The private information of all Aadhaar holders is vulnerable because of a state-run utility company, claimed Karan Saini.
- Delhi Police accused of assaulting journalists during JNU protest march: A video has emerged of the police manhandling a photojournalist and snatching her camera.
- Veerashaiva group in Karnataka seeks religious minority status for entire sect, not just Lingayats: The Akhila Bharata Veerashaiva Mahasabha said the government cannot grant the status to only those who adhere to the philosophy of social reformer Basavanna.
- Economy is growing at a decent pace, but Centre is still unable to create jobs, says Rahul Gandhi: The Congress president, once again, blamed demonetisation and GST for the ‘massive damage’ inflicted on growth and employment.