The Supreme Court on Wednesday dismissed petitions filed by students against the Central Board of Secondary Education’s decision to conduct a re-test for examination papers that had been leaked last week.
Justices SA Bobde and L Nageswara Rao said such decisions were up to the CBSE and cannot be challenged in court. They asked the students to write the exam when the board conducts it, the Hindustan Times reported.
While the CBSE announced that the Class 12 economics re-exam will be held on April 25, the board on Tuesday decided not to conduct the Class 10 mathematics paper after it found the leak had little impact on the results.
Several people have filed petitions in the top court challenging the retest.
Rohan Mathew, a 15-year-old student, moved the top court and asked for the Class 10 exam not be held again, saying it amounted to a violation of an individual’s fundamental rights, The Indian Express reported.
Another plea filed by a New Delhi resident, Reepak Kansal, said, “penalising the student community for an incident which is under investigation and without completion of that investigation/inquiry and issuing a notice on March 28, 2018 (for re-exams), affects the fundamental rights of students which is arbitrary, illegal and unconstitutional”.