Two people were killed and nearly two dozen injured after a vehicle drove into a crowd in the German city of Münster on Saturday, The Guardian reported. A police spokesperson told the newspaper that the dead included the driver, who apparently shot himself soon after mowing down the crowd outside a restaurant in the city centre. Six of the injured were grievously hurt.
The police are investigating whether two people had fled from the vehicle after the crash. The spokesperson confirmed that a suspicious object had been found inside the car, though would not confirm reports of explosives being found.
Authorities did say, however, that there was no indication it was an Islamist attack.
The incident evoked memories of a December 2016 truck attack in Berlin that killed 12 people and injured dozens.
Another police spokesperson said it was too early to declare the incident an attack, but a “security source” told Reuters that “the scenario is such that an attack cannot be ruled out”. The BBC, meanwhile, reported an eyewitness as saying he was sure it was a deliberate attack because the vehicle drove at speed into the crowd.
Responding to the incident, a spokesperson for German Chancellor Angela Merkel said, “Our thoughts are with the victims and their families.”