At least 11 people died on Wednesday after militants detonated a suicide bomb at the headquarters of Libya’s Election Commission in Tripoli. The Libya Observer said that two gunmen blew themselves up in an attack on the High National Elections Commission in Ghoat Shaal district of Tripoli.
The daily said that a third gunman was killed in an exchange of fire with police forces. But a report in the Libya Herald said he had been captured alive.
Minister of Interior-designate Abdelsalam Ashour said the identity of the attackers was still unknown. The country’s Ministry of Health said three people were seriously injured in the attack.
The Tripoli Security Directorate has banned all sporting events in the Capital for the next three days, the Libya Herald said. Emad Sayah, the chief of the Election Commission, said the poll body’s database was safe as a backup has been provided “for such eventualities”.
The United Nations mission in Libya condemned the attack, stressing its commitment to democracy and the “electoral process” in the country.