Kolkata Metro authorities on Wednesday said had gone through CCTV footage and “nothing concrete” was found to take action those who allegedly assaulted a couple in a train compartment on Monday night.
Ajay Vijayvargiya, General Manager, Metro Railway, Kolkata, said, “Nothing concrete was found in the CCTV footage.” He added that no first information report had been filed. “Till now, the couple has not come forward to lodge a complaint.”
Vijayvargiya also said that media representatives and students who protested at the Dumdum metro station on Tuesday against the alleged assault of the couple had submitted a memorandum to the station manager. “The memorandum was forwarded to Sinthi police station for further course of investigation. Photographs and video footage were also shared with Sinthi police,” he said.
Vijayvargiya also proposed certain security measures, including additional CCTV cameras on platforms at metro stations, and in new coaches. Special squads of the Railway Protection Force have also been instructed to remain alert during late hours.
Earlier in the day, a group of youngsters travelled between Tollygunge and Dumdum metro stations in Kolkata to protest against the alleged assault and offered ‘free hugs’ to commuters, reported The Indian Express.
“I am here because I strongly believe in love,” a protestor told NDTV. “Seeing others support and promote love is giving me strength. This is the Kolkata I grew up and want to live in. If I meet those attackers, I will give them a heartfelt hug and tell them not to be so angry.”
A comment posted on Kolkata Metro’s Facebook page on Tuesday had defended the assault. The comment, which has now been deleted, said the incident was the result of “year-long vulgarity shown by a section of the younger generation”.