Venezuela’s Constituent Assembly on Wednesday announced its decision to initiate proceedings against Opposition legislators who the government claimed were responsible for the “failed attack” on President Nicolas Maduro, AFP reported. On August 4, the Venezuelan government said Maduro escaped unharmed after drones armed with explosives detonated close to a military event where he was addressing the soldiers in the capital city of Caracas.
Constituent Assembly chief Diosdado Cabello convened a session to revoke the legislators’ parliamentary immunity from facing a trial. “When justice comes, it hits hard,” Cabello said.
The administration claimed Colombia, including former Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos, was involved in the attack but did not provide evidence to support its claims.
Maduro had accused Opposition leaders Juan Requesens and Julio Borges of being involved in the attack. The president had said far-right wing factions within Venezuela working in collaboration with conspirators in Colombia’s Bogota and Miami in the United States were responsible.
Maduro said authorities have arrested some of those responsible for the incident. “All the statements [of detained suspects] point to Julio Borges, who lives in a mansion in Bogota protected by the outgoing government of Colombia, we know he has the cowardice to participate in this type of events,” Maduro said. The Colombian government denied any involvement. It said there was “no basis” to Maduro’s allegations.
On August 5, Interior Minister Nicolas Reverol said six suspects had been arrested. No drones were visible in the broadcast of the event.
A local group called Soldiers in T-shirts claimed responsibility for the attack on social media. It said the military shot down its two explosives-laden drones targeting Maduro. However, the group did not provide any evidence of its claim.
Maduro was re-elected for another six-year term in May amid allegations of vote buying and electoral fraud.