A major fire broke out on the fifth floor of Pandit Deendayal Antyodaya Bhawan at CGO Complex in New Delhi on Wednesday morning, PTI reported. Officials said Central Industrial Security Force Sub-Inspector MP Godara, who fell unconscious after inhaling toxic gases, later succumbed to his injuries.

The CGO Complex in Pragati Vihar houses several government offices, including those of drinking water and sanitation ministry, forest ministry and a branch of the Indian Air Force.

The fire department received a call at 8:34 am about a fire on fifth floor of Pandit Deendayal Antyodaya Bhawan after which 25 fire tenders were rushed to the spot. The blaze was brought under control in some time, ANI reported.

The fire broke out at an office of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment in the building. The blaze has been contained and the cooling process is under way, Chief Fire Officer Atul Garg told PTI.

“Godara was the shift in-charge,” Garg said. “When he went to take stock of the situation, he fell unconscious after inhaling carbon monoxide. He died at the hospital.”

The cause of the blaze is yet to be ascertained.

Last month, 17 people were killed at Hotel Arpit Palace in Karol Bagh after a short circuit led to a huge fire.