Top 10 Covid-19 updates: Number of cases up to 3,577 on Sunday evening, toll is 83
A quick look at the Covid-19 updates you need to know from today.
- The number of coronavirus cases rose to 3,577 in India on Sunday evening, according to the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. So far, 83 people have died after contracting the virus.
- Millions of citizens across India switched off lights at their homes and lit candles, lamps or turned on mobile phone torches at 9 pm on Sunday after Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s appeal to show solidarity in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic.
- The health ministry also said that the number of Covid-19 cases in the country intensified every 4.1 days because of the Tablighi Jamaat congregation held in Delhi last month. “Covid-19 cases doubling in 4.1 days presently. Had Tablighi Jamaat incident not happened it would have taken 7.4 days,” Agarwal added.
- The Indian Council of Medical Research said there was no evidence of the coronavirus being airborne yet.
- The Ministry of Human Resource Development instructed educational institutes to encourage students, teachers, officials and parents to participate in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s appeal to citizens to switch off their lights and light candles and lamps for nine minutes on Sunday.
- United States President Donald Trump said he has requested India for anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine, whose exports it had suspended last month, to fight Covid-19 infections in American patients.
- The Covid-19 pandemic has infected over 12.03 lakh people around the world, and killed over 64,700 as of Sunday morning, according to an estimate by Johns Hopkins University. Italy has the most number of deaths with 15,362, but its rate of new infections has been on the decline for over a week.
- A man who returned to Morena district in Madhya Pradesh from Dubai and hosted a feast for 1,500 people was found positive for Covid-19, along with his wife and 10 other relatives. The local authorities have sealed the entire colony to prevent it from becoming another coronavirus hotspot.
- Local bodies in Maharashtra have failed to conclusively detect the source of infection for 46 out of the 423 Covid-19 patients in the state until Saturday, a news report said. The source of infection of 266 people is still being traced.
- The All India Drug Action Network has written to the government about the rapid coronavirus home screening testing kit, saying such “activities are a mockery of the government policy”. The drug watchdog wrote in connection with Bengaluru-based biotechnology startup Bione’s “simple point-of-care home screening kit”.