The National Investigation Agency on Wednesday arrested Peoples Democratic Party youth wing President Waheed Parra in a terror case related to suspended Jammu and Kashmir Deputy Superintendent of Police Davinder Singh, PTI reported. Singh was caught with Hizbul Mujahideen militants earlier this year.

A spokesperson from the agency told PTI that Parra was involved in a conspiracy to support the Hizbul Mujahideen terror group along with Singh.

The PDP leader’s arrest came two days after he was questioned by the NIA in the terror case. His name had emerged during the probe against Singh.

PDP chief Mehbooba Mufti criticised the Bhartiya Janata Party and defended Parra after his arrest. “BJP milks illegal scrapping of Article 370 in every nook and corner of the country,” she tweeted. “But when it comes to Kashmiris questioning its abrogation they are locked up and punished. Everyone knows at whose behest Devinder Singh worked for. Ironic that they have the gall to blame others.”

Mufti said her aide was being falsely charged to just intimidate all the mainstream political parties in Jammu and Kashmir. She also shared a video of the then Home Minister Rajnath Singh applauding Parra for strengthening democracy in the Union Territory. “No coincidence that he filed his nomination for DDC [District Development Council elections] on 20th November and received NIA summons next day itself,” she added.

In July, the NIA had filed a chargesheet against Singh under various sections of the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act. Top Hizbul commander Naveed Babu, his brother Irfan Mushtaq, Rafi Ahmed Rather, former president of Cross Line of Control Trade Association Tanveer Ahmed and lawyer Irfan Shafi Mir were also named in the chargesheet

On June 19, a court in Delhi had granted bail to Singh and Mir as the police failed to file a chargesheet within the stipulated time period of 90 days from their arrest in the case. However, they were in judicial custody in connection with the case registered by the NIA in January for ferrying militants.

The suspended police officer was first arrested by the NIA on January 10 and then re-arrested by the Delhi Police on March 14. The police had filed a case against Singh for alleged criminal conspiracy and activities against the interest of the country.

The case

Singh was posted as the deputy superintendent of police at the Srinagar airport. He had allegedly escorted the militants from Shopian in South Kashmir to his home and allowed them to stay overnight.

The militants were identified as Babu, and his accomplices Irfan and Rafi. The four reportedly set out for Jammu on January 11 morning, and planned to go to New Delhi from there. Singh was also seen along with the foreign delegation that visited Jammu and Kashmir.

On January 18, the NIA said it has registered a case against Singh and his accomplices under the UAPA. Singh’s office at Srinagar airport, where he was posted in the anti-hijacking squad, was sealed. Two AK-47 rifles from the car, and a rifle and two pistols were recovered from his home.

In 2013, Afzal Guru, the prime accused in the 2001 Parliament attack case, had claimed that Singh had asked him to accompany one of the attackers to Delhi and arrange his stay there.