National News

Odisha hospital fire: Human rights commission issues notice to state government

After visiting the facility in Bhubaneshwar, Health Minister JP Nadda said there were a number of safety issues that needed to be addressed.

The National Human Rights Commission on Wednesday issued a notice to the Odisha government in connection with Monday's fire at SUM Hospital in Bhubaneshwar, India Today reported. The toll in the blaze rose to 21, and 100 others were injured in the flames, which is believed to have started after a short circuit in the facility's dialysis unit.

The NHRC expressed its shock at the state government and its officials allowing a large number of hospitals to function without proper fire safety clearances. It said any lapse by authorities would amount to a violation of the right to life of the patients. The commission sought a report from state officials within six weeks on the steps taken to prevent such accidents, as well as the details of the relief and rehabilitation provided to the relatives of those who died because of the fire.

Moreover, Union Health Minister JP Nadda on Wednesday said the state administration needed to address a number of safety issues at the hospital. "Our priority is to ensure proper treatment of patients who were affected because of the fire," the minister said after visiting the facility. He also assured the Odisha government of all necessary support for treatment of those injured, The Indian Express reported.

Meanwhile, a protest was held outside the hospital to demand Rs 15 lakh compensation as well as jobs for the relatives of the victims of the incident. The Odisha government had announced compensation of Rs 5 lakh each to the kin of those killed in the fire.

At least 40 patients were reportedly present in the dialysis ward when the fire broke out. Carbon monoxide fumes spread through the air conditioner ducts of the hospital, causing many of the victims, who were on oxygen support, to suffocate. The flames were doused about three hours after the fire broke out. On Tuesday, a police case was filed against the facility, and investigators had arrested four hospital officials. SUM Hospital is owned by Manoj Nayak, a businessperson with ventures in education, television channels and newspapers.

Support our journalism by subscribing to Scroll+ here. We welcome your comments at
Sponsored Content BY 

Following a mountaineer as he reaches the summit of Mount Everest

Accounts from Vikas Dimri’s second attempt reveal the immense fortitude and strength needed to summit the Everest.

Vikas Dimri made a huge attempt last year to climb the Mount Everest. Fate had other plans. Thwarted by unfavourable weather at the last minute, he came so close and yet not close enough to say he was at the top. But that did not deter him. Vikas is back on the Everest trail now, and this time he’s sharing his experiences at every leg of the journey.

The Everest journey began from the Lukla airport, known for its dicey landing conditions. It reminded him of the failed expedition, but he still moved on to Namche Bazaar - the staging point for Everest expeditions - with a positive mind. Vikas let the wisdom of the mountains guide him as he battled doubt and memories of the previous expedition. In his words, the Everest taught him that, “To conquer our personal Everest, we need to drop all our unnecessary baggage, be it physical or mental or even emotional”.

Vikas used a ‘descent for ascent’ approach to acclimatise. In this approach, mountaineers gain altitude during the day, but descend to catch some sleep. Acclimatising to such high altitudes is crucial as the lack of adequate oxygen can cause dizziness, nausea, headache and even muscle death. As Vikas prepared to scale the riskiest part of the climb - the unstable and continuously melting Khumbhu ice fall - he pondered over his journey so far.

His brother’s diagnosis of a heart condition in his youth was a wakeup call for the rather sedentary Vikas, and that is when he started focusing on his health more. For the first time in his life, he began to appreciate the power of nutrition and experimented with different diets and supplements for their health benefits. His quest for better health also motivated him to take up hiking, marathon running, squash and, eventually, a summit of the Everest.

Back in the Himalayas, after a string of sleepless nights, Vikas and his team ascended to Camp 2 (6,500m) as planned, and then descended to Base Camp for the basic luxuries - hot shower, hot lunch and essential supplements. Back up at Camp 2, the weather played spoiler again as a jet stream - a fast-flowing, narrow air current - moved right over the mountain. Wisdom from the mountains helped Vikas maintain perspective as they were required to descend 15km to Pheriche Valley. He accepted that “strength lies not merely in chasing the big dream, but also in...accepting that things could go wrong.”

At Camp 4 (8,000m), famously known as the death zone, Vikas caught a clear glimpse of the summit – his dream standing rather tall in front of him.

It was the 18th of May 2018 and Vikas finally reached the top. The top of his Everest…the top of Mount Everest!

Watch the video below to see actual moments from Vikas’ climb.


Vikas credits his strength to dedication, exercise and a healthy diet. He credits dietary supplements for helping him sustain himself in the inhuman conditions on Mount Everest. On heights like these where the oxygen supply drops to 1/3rd the levels on the ground, the body requires 3 times the regular blood volume to pump the requisite amount of oxygen. He, thus, doesn’t embark on an expedition without double checking his supplements and uses Livogen as an aid to maintain adequate amounts of iron in his blood.

Livogen is proud to have supported Vikas Dimri on his ambitious quest and salutes his spirit. To read more about the benefits of iron, see here. To read Vikas Dimri’s account of his expedition, click here.

This article was produced by the Scroll marketing team on behalf of Livogen and not by the Scroll editorial team.