Mukesh Ambani surpasses Alibaba’s Jack Ma as Asia’s richest person
- Reliance Industries Chairman and India’s richest person, Mukesh Ambani, overtook Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba’s co-founder, Jack Ma, to become Asia’s richest person.
- This come con the back of RIL shares hitting an all-time high.
- Ambani’s net worth stands at $44.3 billion; Jack Ma’s wealth has been estimated at $44 billion.
- Mukesh Ambani has added $4 billion to his wealth just this year.
Telecom Commission approves net neutrality, new telecom policy
- The Telecom Commission has approved net neutrality.
- The new policy will not allow service providers from discriminating against Internet content, which is mostly done by blocking or slowing down certain sources.
- However, some topics have been kept out of the net neutrality policy, such as remote surgery and autonomous (or self-driving) cars.
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) had recommended restrictions on service providers from making agreements that allow preferential treatment of Internet content.
Madhya Pradesh CM inaugurates NTPC’s Rs.1,500 cr solar plant
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan inaugurated state-run NTPC’s 250MW Solar Power Plant in Suwasra, District Mandsaur.
- The Project was commissioned in June 2017 at an investment of about Rs.1,500 crore.
- Under the Make in India initiative, this is one of the biggest solar plant developed using domestically manufactured Solar cells and modules.
Govt sets up task force on ways to reduce import
- The government has set up a high-level task force to identify items and policy interventions that could reduce the country’s dependence on imports.
- The task force is run under the chairmanship of Cabinet Secretary P K Sinha.
- The team will suggest ways to cut import of those items that can be manufactured in the country.
- India is heavily dependent on imports of several items such as oil, electronic hardware, machinery, ingredients for pharmaceuticals, gold and chemicals.
- India’s imports stand at around $450 billion per year.
Indian men’s hockey squad becomes first full team to be included in Target Olympic Podium Scheme
- The Mission Olympic Cell has included the entire Indian hockey team in the Target Olympic Podium scheme.
- In the past, athletes from different sports have been included in the scheme, but this is first time that an entire team has been made a beneficiary of the financial assistance scheme.
- The players were rewarded for their silver medal-winning performance at the Champions Trophy.
- Each of the 18 members of the Indian hockey team will get a monthly allowance of Rs.50,000.
- The Indian boys came second at the Breda event, losing the final to Australia in a penalty shootout.
World’s first 3D, colour X-ray performed on human body
- Scientists from New Zealand, using technology developed at CERN, have performed the world’s first 3D, colour X-ray on the human body.
- The breakthrough colour medical scanner that was used for the purpose, is based on CERN’s Medipix3 technology.
- The technique can be used for specialised diagnoses, and is expected to help improve medical diagnoses.
- The images captured using the technology are high-contrast, high-resolution pictures, which can be used to study cancer, bone and cartilage health and and vascular diseases.
More on Current Affairs
To stay up to date with current affairs and to test your general knowledge, check out our latest Current Affairs quiz.