Walmart tops Fortune 500 list, IOL highest ranked Indian firm
- US retail giant Walmart topped the latest Fortune 500 list, grabbing the top spot for the 14th time and the sixth year in a row.
- Seven Indian companies made it to the latest Fortune 500 list in terms of revenue.
- Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) continues to be the highest ranked Indian firm (137th), with a revenue of $65.9 billion – 23% up from last year.
- Reliance Industries (RIL) has jumped 53 places on the Fortune 500 list, and is the highest ranked private sector company from India (148th), with a revenue of $62.3 billion in 2017-18.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana achieves 5 crore mark
- The number of LPG connections given out under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) has reached the 5 crore mark.
- The 5 crore milestone has been achieved in a little over 2 years (a total of 28 months); the scheme was launched on May 1st, 2016.
- The scheme is implemented by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas through its oil marketing companies, i.e., IOC, BPCL and HPCL, through their network of distributors across the country.
- The project’s target has been revised to 8 crores, with a budgetary allocation of Rs.12,800 crore.
Himachal Pradesh launches ‘Shaur nahin’ mobile app in Shimla, Manali
- Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur has launched the ‘Shaur nahin’ (no noise) mobile application, in connection with the ‘horn not ok’ awareness campaign, which was also launched.
- The first phase of the campaign was launched initially for Shimla and Manali.
- The ‘Shaur nahin’ mobile app can be used by the general public to report cases of noise pollution.
Telangana inks MoU with Tech Mahindra for India’s first Blockchain District
- The government of Telangana has signed MoUs with Tech Mahindra, Nucleus Vision and Eleven01 Foundation to launch India’s first Blockchain District, which will serve as a global talent hub.
- The district is expected to provide a complete ecosystem for the growth of blockchain technology.
- A more detailed business plan is expected to be announced in three months.
India Elected President of Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development
- AIBD India has been elected as the President of the Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD) for two years.
- India beat Iran when voting was held at the 44th annual gathering of AIBD in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Director General of All India Radio F. Sheheryar was re-elected as chair of the executive board while Sri Lanka was elected as vice-chair.
- Broadcasters from 26 countries in the region are full members of the organisation.
World’s first Hindi-speaking robot ‘Rashmi’ developed
- Ranchi-based software developer Ranjit Srivastava is developing the world’s first Hindi-speaking humanoid robot. He has named the robot Rashmi.
- The robot can reportedly also speak Marathi and Bhojpuri, in addition to being able to speak in English and Hindi.
- Rashmi is equipped with facial expressions and systems by which it can recognize and respond to spoken commands.
- Srivastava was inspired to create Rashmi after seeing Hong Kong-made humanoid ‘Sophia’ in 2016.
More on Current Affairs
To stay up to date with current affairs and to test your general knowledge, check out our latest Current Affairs quiz.