Current Affairs wrap for the day: February 12th, 2019
Get all the big national and international news and stay up to date with Current Affairs and General Knowledge to prepare for competitive exams.
Support our journalism by subscribing to Scroll+
We welcome your comments at
Citizenship Bill to be tabled in Rajya Sabha
- The bill seeks to give citizenship to Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhist, Jains, Parsis and Christians from Muslim-majority neighbouring countries if they have been living in India for more than 6 years.
- Several Northeastern states have been witnessing protests against the bill and prohibitory orders have been issued in Imphal.
- Civil societies in Northeastern states have said that the agitation will continue until the bill is withdrawn.
17 people killed in a fire in Delhi’s Karol Bagh area
- The fire broke out at Hotel Arpit Palace in Karol Bagh area of New Delhi at 4.30 am today.
- Apart from 17 deaths, 6 people were injured.
- There were early reports of lapses from the hotel administration side and Delhi home minister has ordered a magisterial inquiry.
Historian Sanjay Subrahmanyam wins Israel’s Dan David Prize
- The historian shared the award with University of Chicago professor Kenneth Pomeranz in the ‘Past Time Dimension’ category.
- The award was given to the historian for his contribution in inter-cultural encounters between Asians, Europeans and Americas.
- Reporters Without Borders, Professor Michael Ignatieff, and Costa Rican diplomat Christina Figueres won awards in other categories.