Current affairs wrap of the day: April 19th, 2019
Get all the big national and international news and stay up to date with Current Affairs and General Knowledge to prepare for competitive exams.
Support our journalism by subscribing to Scroll+
We welcome your comments at
Second phase of 2019 Lok Sabha polling concludes
- The estimated turnout for the second phase of 2019 Lok Sabha election until 10.00 pm was 67.55%.
- Voting was held in 95 constituencies in 11 states which included all 39 constituencies in Tamil Nadu.
- Apart from TN, the election was held at Assam, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jammu and Kashmir, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Manipur, Odisha, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, and Puducherry.
- There were a few reports of violence in Tamil Nadu and West Bengal.
Jet Airways shares fall 31% as airline announces suspension of services
- The bankrupt airline had announced suspension of both domestic and international services on April 17th.
- Rival airline, SpiceJet announced addition of 27 planes over the next 2 weeks to minimise inconvenience to the passengers.
- The lenders of the airline said that the bidding process will hopefully determine the fair value of the company.
Priyanka Chaturvedi resigns from INC
- Indian National Congress spokesperson cited misbehaviour by party members and said that her services were not valued as her reason to resign.
- She is reportedly joining the rival party Shiv Sena.
- Earlier in the week she had criticised the Congress party for inducting eight leaders who had allegedly harassed her in Mathura.
Indo-Pak trade across LOC suspended
- Indian central government suspended trade across the Line of Control citing misuse of route by elements based in Pakistan.
- The Ministry of Home Affairs claimed that the irregularities were happening at a scale large enough to warrant this drastic measure.
- Various parties including National Conference and the Peoples Democratic Party criticised the centre’s move saying that this would worsen the relationships with Pakistan.