The Sunil Narine and Chris Lynn show was the talk of the evening as Kolkata Knight Riders pummelled Royal Challengers Bangalore by six wickets in Bengaluru on Sunday. Chasing 159, Narine and Lynn opened and launched a stunning assault on RCB’s hapless bowlers, slamming 105 runs in the first six overs, a record Powerplay score in the Indian Premier League. Narine also joined Yusuf Pathan in scoring the joint-fastest IPL fifty off just 15 balls.
Here are some of the numbers behind that stunning partnership:
- Sunil Narine slammed the joint-fastest half-century in all ten seasons of the Indian Premier League. His fifty came off 15 balls and he shares the record with Yusuf Pathan who did it in 2014 against Sunrisers Hyderabad.
- It was also the fastest fifty this IPL season, beating out teammate Chris Lynn’s effort in 19 balls against Gujarat Lions.
- No team has scored more than what KKR scored in the Powerplay (1-6 overs) against RCB. KKR’s score of 105/0 in the first six overs is the most runs scored by a team in the Powerplay in IPL history. They comfortably beat Chennai Super Kings who scored 100 runs in the Powerplay in 2014 against Kings XI Punjab.
- Narine and Lynn got together to hammer 19 boundaries in the Powerplay.
- Half of the first 18 balls delivered to KKR’s openers were dots. That should be a good thing but the other nine balls were smashed for 34 runs.
- Narine and Lynn added 71 runs between the third and the sixth overs. They rocketed from 34/0 to 105/0 in that period.
- Samuel Badree was taken for 25 runs (which included three straight sixes and a boundary) in the fourth over, Sreenath Aravind conceded 26 next over (four fours, a six, two wides, two runs) and then Lynn hammered Chahal for 20 runs next over (two sixes, a four and two twos).
- Forty-eight of Narine’s total 54 runs came from fours (six fours) and sixes (four sixes). Thirty of those runs came off Badree’s 10 balls while he was even more severe on Aravind, slamming him for 24 runs in the six balls he faced against him.
- In contrast, Lynn feasted on Yuzvendra Chahal’s offerings, smashing 34 runs off the 12 balls he faced against him. He also liked playing Aniket Choudhary, getting 14 off the six he faced against him.
- Sunil Narine’s strike rate of 317.64 is the third-highest strike in an IPL innings of 50 or more.