Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen defeated world No 1 Son Wan-Ho in the men’s singles semi-finals at the Japan Open on Saturday while Nozomi Okuraha withdrew against Spain’s Carolina Marin in the women’s singles draw.
Axelsen, who beat two-time Olympic champion Lin Dan of China to clinch the world title in Glasgow last month, overpowered South Korea’s Son with a 21-16, 21-16 win.
He now faces Malaysian Lee Chong Wei who has won the Japan Open six times. Lee booked a spot in the final after a 21-19, 21-8 win over China’s Shi Yuqi.
This man is on 🔥
— PBL India (@PBLIndiaLive) September 23, 2017
Viktor Axelsen cruises into the final of #JapanSS after beating Son Wan Ho 21-16, 21-16. Will be up against Lee Chong Wei pic.twitter.com/pOXTccgINz
In the women’s singles, Spain’s Carolina Marin, Olympic gold medallist last year, reached the final as Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara dropped out from the semi-finals due to knee trouble.
Marin faces China’s He Bingjiao who beat Chen Yufei 21-14, 25-23.
Okuhara, newly crowned women’s world champion, was aiming to reclaim the trophy on home soil after winning it in 2015.
Nozomi Okuhara at a press conferene after she withdrew against Carolina Marin due to a knee injury #JapanSS pic.twitter.com/Zm0qGvmpPT
— Badminton Updates (@badmintonupdate) September 23, 2017
Home fans at the Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium expressed disappointment when the organisers announced her withdrawal.
“I did my best (to recover) but this morning, I wasn’t in the condition to play,” Okuhara, 22, told reporters, according to Sankei Sports.
“I was ready for a battle mentally but my body was telling me I couldn’t,” she said in tears.
Do you prefer your favourite sports stories delivered straight to your inbox every weekday? We have got you covered. Subscribe to The Field’s newsletter.