The Pakistani Joint Investigation Team, which was on a five-day visit to India to continue its probe into the Pathankot airbase attacks, said early on Sunday that Indian authorities had "failed to provide evidence" to prove that terrorists from Pakistan had been behind the strike. The team of investigators was allowed to enter the military facility through narrow adjacent routes instead of the main entrance and their visit to the airbase lasted just 55 minutes, enough only to walk through it, Pakistan media quoted officials close to the team as saying.
Investigators also said they could not collect evidence in this limited time, The News International report said, adding that the JIT was only informed about the negligence of the Border Security Force. However, a senior official told The Times of India that the National Investigation Agency had "given them everything" and "briefed them in a professional manner". The official added, "What they say or do there is now up to them."
This comes merely days after the team agreed that the four terrorists were Pakistani and had asked NIA to share evidence on the same. An Indian official had said the JIT had not denied that the terrorists were from Pakistan and that the NIA had shared their identities and addresses. "The set of accused for Pak JIT and NIA are more or less the same. We have seen their FIR," the official added.The JIT returned to Pakistan on Saturday. During its visit, India had handed over DNA samples of the four terrorists killed in the attacks, their identities and call records proving the involvement of the Jaish-e-Mohammed terror group in the strike at the Pathankot airbase in January, in which seven security personnel were killed.