Perumbavoor Deputy Superintendent of Police Anil Kumar has been removed from the team investigating the brutal rape and murder of a 29-year-old law student in Kerala on April 28. The move came on Wednesday, as no progress has been made in the investigation. The investigation team currently has 28 people in it, but no arrests have been made in the case. Kumar was removed from the team because of “procedural lapses” in the inquiry, NDTV reported. Though the incident took place at the victim’s home last Thursday, the house was cordoned off by police only on Tuesday. A forensic team visited the crime scene on Monday.

The law student was found dead near her home in Ernakulam district last week. An autopsy report confirmed signs of rape, including a deep gash in her vagina, which had a sharp object embedded in it all the way up to her intestines. The report also said her vagina bore traces of clotted blood and semen, The Times of India reported. Her body bore more than 30 brutal injuries, along with physical signs of rape such as bite marks on her back and deep finger marks on both her shoulders.

Police on Tuesday had detained a man in connection with the woman's murder, but have ruled out his involvement in her death. Ten other suspects were questioned by local police on Wednesday.

The Congress-led state government on Wednesday announced compensation of Rs 10 lakh and a government job for a member of the woman’s family. This will have to be approved by the Election Commission as the state is currently bound by the model code of conduct ahead of the May 16 Assembly elections.

Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee president VM Sudheeran asked that the incident not be politicised, though the case was brought up in both houses of Parliament on Wednesday. Social Justice Minister Thawar Chand Gehlot will visit the woman’s family. The National Human Rights Commission has asked for a report from the government, while the National Commission for Women has sent an inquiry team to the state.