The big news: More than 160 killed in failed coup attempt in Turkey, and nine other top stories
Congress' Pema Khandu staked claim to form Arunachal Pradesh government, and the Islamic State claimed the assailant behind the massacre in Nice was a follower.
A look at the headlines right now:
- At least 161 people killed, more than 1,500 rebel soldiers detained after foiled coup attempt in Turkey: President Tayyip Erdogan claimed US-based Islamic cleric Fethullah Gülen was behind the violence, which he called an 'act of treason'.
- New Arunachal Pradesh Congress leader Pema Khandu meets governor, stakes claim to form government: The party submitted letters of support from 45 of its legislators and two independent MLAs.
- Islamic State group claims assailant behind massacre in Nice was a follower: Four people with links to the attacker – identified as 31-year-old Franco-Tunisian Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel – have been taken into police custody.
- Pakistani social media celebrity Qandeel Baloch shot dead in Multan: According to police, she was killed by her brother 'over honour'. He had reportedly threatened her regarding her Facebook posts and videos.
- Newspaper editors in Kashmir condemn media gag in state, call it an 'attack on the freedom of press': Police raided the offices of a number of publications, as the toll in the clashes rose to 39 on the eight day of unrest.
- Narendra Modi emphasises on internal security, asks states to focus on intelligence sharing: At the 11th inter-state council meeting, the prime minister said the country could only develop if the Centre and states work in tandem.
- Smriti Irani loses spot in Cabinet Committee on Parliamentary Affairs: Prakash Javadekar, who replaced her as the human resource development minster, was made a member of the panel.
- Masterminds behind Dhaka cafe and Eid congregation attacks identified, says Bangladesh home minister: Police Commissioner Asaduzzaman Mia said they had not ruled out the possibility of 'foreign links' with the siege at the restaurant in the capital city.
- Mumbai court issues non-bailable warrant against Vijay Mallya in cheque-bouncing case: The Airports Authority of India had filed petitions against the former liquor baron in connection with two cheques worth Rs 100 crore that were dishonoured.
- Maneka Gandhi requests MEA to amend rules, not make father's name mandatory requirement in passports: The Union minister took the step after taking note of an online petition started by a single mother.