The big news: Gujarat CM Anandiben Patel announces resignation on Facebook, and 9 other top stories
Wrestler Narsingh Yadav was cleared of doping charges, and Sushma Swaraj said the stranded Indian workers in Saudi Arabia will be evacuated soon.
A look at the headlines right now:
- Anandiben Patel offers to resign as chief minister of Gujarat: The 74-year-old made the announcement in a Facebook post, citing her age as the reason, and also handed her resignation to state BJP president Vijay Rupani.
- Wrestler Narsingh Yadav cleared of doping charges, NADA says he was a victim of sabotage: Sports Minister Vijay Goel said his participation in the Rio Olympics will be decided by the Wrestling Federation of India and three other sporting bodies.
- The 10,000 Indian workers stranded in Saudi Arabia will be evacuated soon, says Sushma Swaraj: The external affairs minister informed Parliament that ration for 10 days has been distributed in all the five relief camps set up in the West Asian country.
- 36% of ST households do not have drinking water source, Centre tells Rajya Sabha: It also noted that the Rs 5,000-crore budget allocated to implement the National Rural Drinking Water Programme was inadequate.
- Mayawati demands Akhilesh Yadav's resignation after Bulandshahr gangrape: The Congress and BJP also highlighted the poor law and order situation of the state under the ruling Samajwadi Party government.
- Russian chopper shot down in Syria, all five crew members dead: The helicopter was attacked in rebel-held Idlib city, when it was on its way back to the base after delivering humanitarian aid to Aleppo.
- State Assembly wants Madras High Court to be renamed after Tamil Nadu, not Chennai: Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa also wrote a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi urging him to change the High Courts (Alteration of Names) Bill, 2016.
- Yuriko Koike elected first woman governor of Tokyo city: The 64-year-old, who was the first female defence minister of Japan, belongs to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's Liberal Democratic Party.
- Subsidised LPG price hiked by Rs 1.93 per cylinder: A 14.2-kg cylinder of cooking gas will now cost Rs 423.09 in Delhi, according to state-owned oil companies.
- There is no proposal for a separate Vidarbha state, says Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis: Leader of Opposition and Indian National Congress member Radhakrishna Vikhe Patil said the ruling party is in cahoots with the Shiv Sena regarding the issue.