The Bengaluru house of a National Security Guard commando who died during the Pathankot attack in January is facing a demolition threat from Bengaluru's civic body, reported ANI on Thursday. Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike, which is carrying out a clearance drive for encroachment on storm water drains, has marked one of the three pillars of Niranjan Kumar's (pictured above) family home for demolition.
The late lieutenant colonel's brother, Shashank, said it was a matter of shame and alleged that the civic body officials did not give them any notice. He said, "If we would have got some notice, then we would have done something about it." His house is among 1,100 that are to be razed in the next four months, reported NDTV.
On Wednesday, Kumar's mother Radha Shivaraj had sought 15 days' time from civic officials to vacate the house, reported The New Indian Express. She told BBMP Joint Commissioner Sarfaraz Khan, who visited the area, that the family will demolish the part of the house themselves. "If it is encroached, let them demolish. But our request is that we will do that job ourselves."
BBMP Commissioner Manjunath Prasad, however, said that "public good is above private good," adding that the law is equal for everyone. Karnataka Home Minister G Parmeshwara said the government can provide an alternative site to the family to build another house.
Other residents have also protested against the demolition drive, which the civic officials tout as a necessity to set up drains. According to BBMP officials, the drains will prevent flooding in the city. Last month, the city came to a standstill after 15 hours of heavy rainfall.