A look at the headlines in the sector right now:
- Amazon’s sales may have overtaken Flipkart’s in July, reports Mint: The business daily clarified that the figures reported by Flipkart did not include revenues from Myntra or Jabong.
- Airlines ask Centre to allow them to avoid Pakistan airspace: The Times of India reported that security concerns stemming from deteriorating relations between the two countries and rising cost were the driving factors for the request.
- GAIL (India) shares soar after signing green pact with Bloom Energy: According to the Memorandum of Understanding, the two companies will use a technology that will generate electricity with lower emission levels.
- Stock markets close slightly higher, IT stocks gain after 6 days: The Bombay Stock Exchange’s IT index closed 1.5% higher after companies including Infosys and Wipro saw share gains.
- Google begins official rollout of Android 7.0 Nougat: Earlier, the California-based company had released 5 Developer Previews of the latest iteration of its mobile operating system.
- Central Board of Direct Taxes considering banning cash deals above Rs lakh: The Board’s chairperson said that the government is considering the move after its recommendation by a Supreme Court-appointed SIT on black money.
- Internet celebrates 25th birthday: Websites around the world celebrated the 25th anniversary of the first web page posted by Sir Tim-Berners Lee on this day in 1991.