A look at the headlines in the sector right now:
- 18 lakh workers have joined strike against Centre's anti-labour policies, say trade unions: At least 12 workers' representatives who were participating in the bandh were detained by the Haryana police from near the Maruti factory in Manesar.
- Show proof that investors were refunded Rs 18,000 crore, Supreme Court tells Sahara head Subarata Roy: It also ordered market regulator SEBI to look into how the company was selling its properties abroad to raise money to secure bail for its chief.
- Declare black money by September 30 or face strict action, Narendra Modi warns tax defaulters: He said the Supreme Court-monitored Special Investigation Team was working to ensure that such illegally acquired amounts do not make it to foreign bank accounts.
- Samsung begins global recall of Galaxy Note7 following 35 reports of the model’s battery exploding: The smartphone giant said it was conducting a ‘thorough investigation’ of the defect with its suppliers to identify affected handsets.
- India has the potential to register growth rate of 8-10%, says Chief Economic Advisor Arvind Subramanian: He said the double-digit figure can be achieved only if there is political stability in the country and if the world economy picks up pace.
- President’s approval awaited for GST Bill after Odisha becomes 16th state to ratify it: The Assembly’s unanimous decision fulfilled the required that at least half the states needed to pass it before it could be sent to Pranab Mukherjee.
- I was willing to stay, says Raghuram Rajan: The former RBI governor said he could not reach the right agreement with the government to opt to stay for a second term in the position.
- Reliance Jio can hope to break even if it gains 80 million subscribers in next two-three years, say analysts: They believe other telecom majors will soon come up with new prices and offers to give it tough competition.