A look at the headlines in the sector right now:
- Wholesale Price Inflation rises to 3.74% in August, but prospects of an RBI rate cut appear bright: Analysts expect inflation rates will go down as a bumper harvest is expected after most parts of the country had a good monsoon.
- Reliance Jio refutes allegation that its users will 'adversely impact' Airtel's network: However, the RIL-owned telecom company also welcomed its rival’s offer of more points of interconnection to meet the TRAI’s standards.
- Bayer to acquire Monsanto for $66 billion in largest ever acquisition by a German firm: The deal includes a fee of $2 billion in case the acquisition does not get regulatory approval. It is expected to close by the end of 2017.
- Cauvery dispute caused losses of Rs 25,000 crore in Karnataka, finds Assocham: The industry body said the protests and bandhs observed in the state had tarnished the image of Bengaluru as the Silicon Valley of India.
- Google, Apple may have to embed Aadhaar into their technology: The Unique Identification Authority of India wants devices registered with the biometric identity program.
- Facebook, Google seek US Congress support for change in control over internet domain names: Many tech giants said in a letter that the transition of the web's supervision to the 'multi-stakeholder model' was needed for economic and national security.
- Twitter to redefine its 140-character limit soon, not count media attached to tweets: User handles, photos, GIFs and other additional items will not be counted as characters.