The big news: Rajnath Singh holds high-level meeting on Uri base attack, and nine other top stories
At least 29 people were injured in a blast in New York, and Manohar Lal Khattar said the gangrapes and crackdown on beef biryani in Mewat were 'trivial' issues.
A look at the headlines right now:
- Rajnath Singh convenes high-level security meet to discuss Uri attack: Prime Minister Narendra Modi vowed action against the culprits, while officials said they suspect Pakistan's involvement in the incident.
- At least 29 injured after explosion in Manhattan's Chelsea neighbourhood, second device found: The New York police said the blast appeared to be intentional, but it is unclear who is behind it.
- Mewat gangrapes, beef biryani crackdown are small issues, says Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar: The minister said such incidents could take place 'anywhere in the country'.
- Noam Chomsky, Arundhati Roy and 50 other scholars, writers want Khurram Parvez set free: The signatories said the actions against the activist 'are symptomatic of the escalated repression in Kashmir by institutions of the state'.
- People of UP accepted Akhilesh as chief minister because he is my son, says Mulayam Singh Yadav: The Samajwadi Party patriarch criticised his son only hours after the latter said his uncle Shivpal Singh Yadav would be re-inducted into the state cabinet.
- Man shot dead after stabbing eight people in Minnesota mall: He was gunned down by an off-duty officer, and police said they do not have evidence to indicate anyone else's involvement in the incident.
- Arvind Kejriwal's tongue was trimmed after he spoke against Narendra Modi and me, says Manohar Parrikar: The defence minister criticised the AAP leader for being away while the Capital grappled with a health crisis.
- US ends attack after 'unintentionally' killing Syrian soldiers, prompts emergency UN meet: The agency found that there have been 92 cases of battery explosion in the country, besides 26 incidents of burns and 55 reports of property damage.
- Iranian cyclist dies during Paralympics event in Rio de Janeiro: Bahman Golbarnezhad suffered a cardiac arrest after he crashed during the men's C4-C5 road race.
- Sucha Singh Chhotepur to approach Navjot Singh Sidhu to form political party in Punjab: The former state convenor for the Aam Aadmi Party said he wanted to set up a new outfit with people ‘committed to saving Punjab’.