The Indian Army on Monday said that it reserves the right to respond to any act of terror from across the border at the time and place of its choosing, PTI reported. The statement comes a day after the Uri base attack, which the Army belives was orchestrated by Pakistan-based militant group Jaish-e-Mohammed. The same group was believed to be behind the Pathankot base attack in January.
Military Operations Director General Lt Gen Ranbir Singh said, "The Indian Army has displayed considerable restraint while handling the terrorist situation both along the Line of Control and in hinterland. However, we have the desired capability to respond to such blatant acts of aggression and violence as deemed appropriate by us."
Pakistan's army chief General Raheel Sharif also held a meeting with his commanders and said the country was "fully prepared to respond to an entire spectrum of direct and indirect threat," PTI reported. The Pakistan army released a statement saying they are monitoring the situation in the region closely after "taking note of a hostile narrative being propagated by India."
India to 'diplomatically isolate' Pakistan
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the same day held a high-level meeting to take stock of the situation, and later met President Pranab Mukherjee to apprise him of the developments. After the high-level meeting, the National Democratic Alliance government took the decision to 'diplomatically isolate' Pakistan at all international fora, PTI reported. Home Minister Rajnath Singh and Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh also attended the meeting.
India claims to have found evidence linking the attack to Pakistan. It said it has uncovered GPS trackers that show their starting points in the neighbouring country, and arms marked with the insignia of the Pakistan Army. It also claimed it found Pashto literature on the terrorists – all of whom were killed during Sunday's gunbattle.
Toll rises to 18
On Monday, one more jawan succumbed to his injuries taking the toll up to 18. The soldier, Sepoy K Vikas Janardhan was admitted to the Army's Research and Referrals Hospital in New Delhi. ON the same day, the National Investigation Agency arrived arrived at the Army base to conducts its own review of the Saturday's attack.
A total of 17 Indian soldiers had been killed on Sunday after four militants attacked the base near the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir's Baramulla district.
All the militants were gunned down by Army personnel. Director General Military Operations Lieutenant General Ranbir Singh said the Army had taken four AK-47 guns from the militants, and that 13-14 of the men were killed because their tent caught fire after grenades were hurled at the premises during the attack.