China on Saturday continued to stall India’s efforts to get Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad chief Masood Azhar designated a terrorist by the United Nations. China had been using its power in United Nations Security Council through a “technical hold” to keep Azhar off the list, a move that has led to friction with India. The hold gives the committee more time to deliberate on Azhar, whom India blames for both the Pathankot and now the Uri attacks
China’s six-month hold period lapsed on Saturday, but the country decided to extend it, PTI reported. The hold will now remain for six more months, after which the UNSC will need to take a binding call. China’s stance on the matter has been seen as a direct appeasement of Pakistan.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said, “There are still different views on India's listing application. The extended technical hold on it will allow more time for the Committee to deliberate on the matter and for relevant parties to have further consultations.” China was the only country among the UNSC’s 15 nations to object to India’s proposal.
India, in response, said it has created a “watertight proposal” against Azhar, The Hindu reported. In it, it has detailed Azhar’s involvement in the attack on the Pathankot air base in January, as well has how he had a role in the September 18 Uri attacks as well.