A head constable of the Border Security Force died on Thursday, after succumbing to injuries he sustained during cross-border firing in Jammu's RS Pura sector earlier in the morning. Officials said a Pakistani Ranger was killed, while another was injured in the exchange of fire, The Indian Express reported.

At least six civilians were injured as the shelling along the border with Pakistan entered its third day, ANI reported. An assistant sub-inspector of the Border Security Force as well as 11 civilians were injured in the gunfight on Wednesday. The injured are undergoing treatment at Jammu's Government Medical College and Hospital.

Most residents of border villages have moved to safer places, while some have taken refuge in bunkers made available by the government, PTI reported. "Every time there is a ceasefire violation, we have to migrate from our houses. Had we been given the promised plots at safe places, we would have constructed our houses," said a resident of Abdullian village, Chuni Lal. He added that they would only return once there was "permanent peace at the border".

Deputy Commissioner of Jammu Simrandeep Singh said people do not wait for instructions from the district administration whenever there is firing from across the border. "A large number of people have already taken shelter at safer places, and some have shifted to the houses of their relatives," he said. However, the district administration has instructed people to remain cautious and not venture out. All educational institutes in border areas have remained closed since the tension between the two countries escalated.

The Ministry of External Affairs on Thursday summoned Pakistani High Commissioner Abdul Basit in connection with the ceasefire violations along the border, ANI reported. Pakistan had summoned Indian Deputy High Commissioner JP Singh on Wednesday over the matter.

On Sunday, an 8-year-old boy and a BSF soldier were killed during cross-border firing in RS Pura sector, while Pakistan reported the death of two civilians, including a 1-year-old child. Several cases of injuries have been reported on both sides of the international border since the violence in the region began.

India has said that there has been an increase in ceasefire violations after it carried out surgical strikes on "terror launchpads" along the Line of Control with Pakistan on September 29. Officials reported breaches on October 3, 4 and 5 along the border in the region. On September 18, militants had attacked an Indian Army installation in Uri, killing 19 soldiers. India had accused Pakistan of being involved in the strike, but Islamabad has dismissed the allegations as baseless.