At least 15 Pakistani soldiers were killed on Friday after cross-border firing continued along the Line of Control in the Pallanwala, Sunderwani, Nowshera and RS Pura sectors of Jammu and Kashmir, the Border Security Force said. Two civilians have died in the exchange of fire so far – one in Jammu district's Khor belt and another in Poonch, PTI reported. One person was injured in the firing in Abdullian village, RS Pura sector, where shelling from across the border entered its fourth day.

The Defence Ministry had said earlier that the Pakistani Army was using "small arms, automatics, 82 mm and 120 mm mortars", and that the Indian Army was "responding appropriately and befittingly." On Thursday, a head constable of the BSF had died from injuries sustained during cross-border firing in RS Pura sector, and at least 17 civilians were injured in the shelling.

Residents of border villages have moved to safer places, while some have taken refuge in bunkers made available by the government. Firing from across the LoC in Mendhar and KG sectors stopped on Thursday night.

The Ministry of External Affairs on Thursday summoned Pakistani High Commissioner Abdul Basit in connection with the ceasefire violations along the border. Pakistan had summoned Indian Deputy High Commissioner JP Singh on Wednesday over the matter.

On Sunday, an 8-year-old boy and a BSF soldier were killed during cross-border firing in RS Pura sector, while Pakistan reported the death of two civilians, including a 1-year-old infant. Several cases of injuries have been reported on both sides of the international border since the violence in the region began.

India has said that there has been an increase in ceasefire violations after it carried out surgical strikes on "terror launchpads" along the LoC with Pakistan on September 29. Officials reported breaches on October 3, 4 and 5 along the border in the region. On September 18, militants had attacked an Indian Army installation in Uri, killing 19 soldiers. India had accused Pakistan of being involved in the strike, but Islamabad has dismissed the allegations as baseless.