At least four people were killed and 14 others were wounded in an attack on the largest military base of the Unites States in Afghanistan, on Saturday. “An explosive device was detonated at the Bagram Airfield (pictured above), resulting in multiple casualties,” the Resolute Support Mission of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation said, according to Reuters.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the strike on the Nato airbase, located north of Kabul. A spokesman for the outfit, Zabihullah Mujahid, claimed the attack on Twitter.
According to Waheed Sediqi, a spokesperson for the governor of Parwan province where Bagram is located, the explosion was caused after a suicide bomber blew himself up at dawn near a dining hall inside the airbase. “We don’t know the identity of the victims yet, but the attacker was either one of the Afghan labourers working there,” Sediqi told AFP.
A statement from the mission said the injured were being treated and an investigation into the attack had been launched. “Our force protection and medical teams are responding to the situation,” it added.