The big news: Heavy rain forces Mumbai airport to shut main runway, and nine other top stories
Other headlines: The Madras High Court extended its stay on a floor test in the Tamil Nadu Assembly, and a strong quake in Mexico killed at least 217 people.
A look at the headlines right now:
- 56 flights diverted as Mumbai airport shuts main runway: The civic body clarified that the Met Department had not issued any cyclone warning.
- Madras High Court extends stay on floor test in Tamil Nadu Assembly: TTV Dinakaran’s lawyer said Speaker P Dhanpal had misused the anti-defection law to disqualify the 18 MLAs who supported the ousted leader.
- At least 217 dead as massive earthquake hits central Mexico: President Enrique Peña Nieto said more than 20 children had died after a three-storey school building crumbled in Mexico City.
- Rs 389-crore dam in Bihar collapses a day before Nitish Kumar was meant to inaugurate it: Nearby areas were flooded, and several incidents of water-logging were reported.
- Delhi High Court invites suggestions on whether media should be allowed to live report proceedings: In a notice, it has included 13 questions on a number of subjects – from media accreditation to penalising court reporters.
- MS Dhoni nominated by BCCI for India’s third-highest civilian award, the Padma Bhushan: If selected, the 36-year-old will become the 11th Indian cricketer to receive the honour.
- India won the moral battle when Pakistan refused to acknowledge surgical strikes, says ex-Army commander: Days ahead of the one-year mark of the mission, Lieutenant General DS Hooda said the Army was prepared to carry out another such operation again.
- Punjab and Haryana High Court rejects anticipatory bail pleas of Ryan International school owners: The Haryana government has asked the Centre to have the CBI investigate the Class 2 student’s killing.
- Former headmaster in Tamil Nadu sentenced to 55 years in jail for sexually abusing 22 schoolgirls: The Madurai District Court also fined S Arockiasamy Rs 12 lakh, which will be distributed among the students.
- Eighteen McDonald’s outlets in Delhi resume operations: Forty-three outlets of the fast food chain in the city were shut since June because their licences were not renewed.