A look at the headlines in the sector:
- Government saved $9 billion through Aadhaar, kept fraud under check, says Nandan Nilekani: The architect of the UIDAI programme said cashless transactions had brought down the costs for the government.
- Jaypee Associates asks Supreme Court if it can sell Yamuna Expressway to pay homebuyers: On September 11, the Supreme Court had asked the debt-ridden firm to deposit Rs 2,000 crore with the court’s registry.
- TCS net profit increases by 8.4% in second quarter to Rs 6,446 crore: However, the profit dropped 2.1% year-on year, with the company reporting a net profit of Rs 6,586 crore in July-September 2016.
- Samsung Electronics CEO Kwon Oh-hyun resigns, says company faces ‘unprecedented crisis’: He was expected to take a bigger role after the company’s heir Lee Jae-yong was arrested after being convicted in a corruption case.
- Idea shareholders approve merger plan with Vodafone India: Over 99.9% of the shareholders voted in favour of the deal in a meeting on Thursday.
- Sensex gains 250 points, Nifty touches record high after steady inflation, higher industrial output: The rupee appreciated 18 paise to 64.90 against the dollar, further boosting the rally.
- SC threatens to imprison those who try to obstruct the auction of Sahara’s Aamby Valley: The court’s comments came after Sebi said that the Sahara Group had raised the issue of law and order on the property with the Pune Police.
- Paris plans to phase out all petrol, diesel cars by 2030: The city’s administration said this decision was in line with France’s plan to ban engine vehicles across the country by 2040.