The toll from the three separate encounters in Jammu and Kashmir rose to 20, including thirteen suspected militants, three Army jawans and four civilians on Sunday. At least 25 people were injured in the violence.

“It is unfortunate that stone pelting around the encounter site [Shopian] led to four civilian deaths, Director General of Police Shesh Paul Vaid tweeted.

In an encounter in the Dialgam area of Anantnag district, security forces killed a militant and arrested another after an exchange of fire before dawn, Vaid told ANI. Two Army jawans were also killed in the encounter, which is now over.

The arrested militant was reportedly newly recruited. Both belonged to the Hizbul Mujahideen, according to police. Their identities are being ascertained. Some arms and ammunition were recovered from the encounter site.

In Draggad in Shopian district, seven militants, including “top commanders”, were killed in an encounter, Vaid said. All seven men were identified as locals after their families claimed the bodies, The Greater Kashmir reported. Vaid said this encounter had also ended. One civilian died in the violence.

The third encounter in Shopian’s Kachdoora area began after suspected militants fired at an Army vehicle, ANI reported. Security forces then cordoned off the area and began a search operation. A civilian was killed in the encounter while several others were trapped inside their homes.

Meanwhile, the police and paramilitary forces used pellets and tear gas to stop dozens of youth from Shopian district who were trying to march towards the two encounter sites.

Clashes broke out in several neighbouring areas after the news of the death of the seven militants in Dragad started to spread, The Greater Kashmir reported. At least 25 youth were injured by the pellet guns while six others reported bullet injuries, Vaid told reporters on Sunday afternoon.

After the clashes, mobile internet services were suspended in the Valley as a “precautionary measure”, officials said.