The big news: 13 children killed as bus collides with train in UP, and nine other top stories
Other headlines: Modi said development was the BJP’s focus in the Karnataka elections, and Centre cleared Indu Malhotra’s appointment as a Supreme Court judge.
A look at the headlines right now:
- At least 13 children killed, eight injured as school van collides with train in Kushinagar: In another incident, a school van collided with a milk tanker in North Delhi, killing a girl and leaving 17 children injured.
- Modi says BJP’s focus in Karnataka elections will be development, accuses Congress of caste politics: The prime minister said the Congress offered “lollipops” to caste groups before polls so they get busy with it.
- Centre clears Indu Malhotra’s appointment as a Supreme Court judge, but KM Joseph’s on hold: Senior lawyer Indira Jaising urged Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra not to swear in Malhotra until the government cleared Joseph’s name as well.
- Advocate for main accused in Kathua case calls Mehbooba Mufti a ‘jihadi CM’: Ankur Sharma claimed that the Bakerwal community, who the deceased belonged to, had encroached upon forest land in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Allahabad HC grants bail to doctor arrested after Gorakhpur hospital tragedy, says chargesheet already filed: Kafeel Khan’s release comes days after his family made public a letter he wrote from jail, in which he claimed he was being made a scapegoat in the case.
- Delhi court dismisses plea against Kejriwal, other AAP leaders for allegedly defaming PM Modi: The court said the complainants were not the aggrieved party and so could not file such a petition.
- Delhi High Court tells JNU to initiate inquiry against professor accused of sexual harassment: The court asked if the vice chancellor of Jawaharlal Nehru University had no power to take action against Professor Atul Johri.
- Naga peace pact in final stage but Centre, rebel groups still differ on separate flag, says report: The accord is likely to be signed before the Monsoon Session of the Parliament.
- CBI books 12 Army officials for allegedly accepting bribes to hire religious teachers: The Army had hired religious teachers at the Artillery Centre, Hyderabad, in 2013 to lead spiritual activities to motivate the troops.
- Turkish court sentences 14 staff of opposition newspaper to prison on terrorism charges: They were accused of supporting the exiled cleric who Turkey claims plotted the failed coup attempt of 2016.