Thirty members of the Afghan security forces were killed in an attack by suspected militants of the Taliban in the western province of Badghis on Wednesday, the government told Reuters. This is the first attack since a ceasefire declared by the outfit during Eid festival ended on Sunday.
The Taliban attacked two security posts early in the day, provincial governor Abdul Qafoor Malikzai told the news agency. However, Abdul Aziz Bek, head of the Badghis provincial council, said one military base was targeted in the Bala district.
“Large numbers of Taliban came from several directions,” Bek said.
Earlier this month, both the Taliban and the Afghan government had announced a ceasefire to allow their fighters to celebrate Eid. While the government decided to extend the ceasefire by 10 days, the militant organisation said it would resume operations against the security forces after Sunday night.