A look at the headlines right now:
- At least four of 12 boys rescued from flooded Thailand cave: The first two survivors were transported to a hospital after being examined in a field hospital near the cave’s entrance.
- Heavy rain continues in Mumbai, weather department warns of more in next two days: Three people died in rain-related incidents in and around the city on Saturday.
- Union minister Giriraj Singh meets VHP, Bajrang Dal leaders in Bihar’s Nawada jail: He accused the Nitish Kumar government of arresting innocent people and provoking Hindus.
- BJP and Congress absent from discussion on simultaneous polls: TMC, DMK and others express oppositionThe negotiations on a proposal for simultaneous Lok Sabha and state assembly elections began in Delhi on Saturday.
- Telangana student fatally shot during suspected robbery attempt at Missouri restaurant: Sharath Koppu was a postgraduate student of software engineering at the University of Missouri Kansas City.
- Even Lord Ram would not have been able to stop rapes, says BJP legislator in Uttar Pradesh: ‘Such incidents can only be controlled by inculcating good values among men, women and children,’ Surendra Singh added.
- India has taken a ‘quantum jump in the wrong direction’ since 2014, says Amartya Sen: The economist said the government has done nothing to address inequalities, and the problems faced by Dalits and the scheduled tribes.
- Restrictions imposed in Kashmir as separatists call for shutdown on Burhan Wani’s death anniversary: Normal life was disrupted as several businesses were closed and public transport stayed off roads.
- Toll rises to 73, millions asked to evacuate after unprecedented rainfall in Japan: ‘We have never experienced this kind of rain before,’ an official at the Japanese Meteorological Agency said.