The big news: DMK chief Karunanidhi buried at Chennai’s Marina Beach, and nine top stories
Other headlines: The top court asked J&K to reply to claims that activist Talib Hussain was tortured, and Srinivas Kuchibotla’s killer got three life terms.
A look at the headlines right now:
- Karunanidhi buried at Marina Beach in Chennai: Two people were killed and several injured in stampede-like incidents outside Rajaji Hall when Karunanidhi’s body was kept there.
- Supreme Court asks J&K to reply to claims that Kathua case activist Talib Hussain was tortured in custody: The Jammu and Kashmir state government has a week to reply to the notice.
- Kansas man gets 3 more life sentences for killing Indian engineer Srinivas Kuchibhotla: Adam Purinton, a 53-year-old Navy veteran, reportedly yelled ‘get out of my country’ before fatally shooting the techie at a bar in February 2017.
- Maratha quota agitators in Maharashtra’s Beed district pull out of Thursday’s bandh: The statewide organisers have decided to exclude Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Thane and Parli from the strike.
- Kanwariyas caught on video vandalising car after it brushes past one of them in West Delhi: The group was seen breaking the car’s windows and doors with rods and sticks before turning it on its side.
- NASA to launch spacecraft that will fly into the sun’s outer orbit: The probe will travel to within 3.8 million miles of the sun’s surface, closer than any other spacecraft before it, said the agency.
- JNU faculty has voted in favour of removing vice chancellor, says teachers’ body: In a ‘referendum’, the faculty voted 279 to eight in favour of removing Vice Chancellor M Jagadesh Kumar.
- Former Malaysian PM Najib Razak faces new charges of money laundering: Last month, the former prime minister was charged with three counts of money laundering..
- UP CM Adityanath admits Deoria officials failed to shut shelter, orders CBI inquiry: The chief minister said a special investigation team and a special task force has been set up to prevent tampering of evidence.
- IMF says India’s GDP growth rate will be 7.3% in 2018-’19, 7.5% in 2019-’20: But the world body added that inflation and current account deficit will also widen in this financial year.