The Cyberabad Police on Saturday suspended three of its officials, including a sub-inspector, for delaying the registration of a first information report before the alleged gangrape and murder of a woman veterinarian near Hyderabad came to light, The News Minute reported.

The 27-year-old woman, a veterinary surgeon, had left home around 5.50 pm on Wednesday for her clinic in Gachibowli. She parked her two-wheeler near Shamshabad toll plaza and took a shared cab from there. On her way home, the woman realised that the rear wheel of her vehicle was punctured. Truck drivers then approached her with offers to help.

The woman was allegedly gang-raped by the accused before being killed and set on fire. Her sister alleged that the police did not search areas where the victim was last seen. Instead, they reportedly asked if the woman had a boyfriend, if she was regularly in touch with men, and sought to know her phone habits.

Cyberabad Police Commissioner VC Sajjanar said the three police officials were suspended for dereliction of duty. A detailed investigation revealed their involvement in the delay in registration of the FIR.

Those officials were identified as Shamshabad Sub-Inspector M Ravi Kumar, and head constables at Rajiv Gandhi International Airport police station A Sathyanarayana Goud and P Venu Gopal Reddy. “All the officers of Cyberabad Police have been once again instructed to register cases irrespective of jurisdiction whenever a complaint related to cognisable offence is received at the police station,” the commissioner said.

Meanwhile, the police have sought legal opinion about registering a case against a fuel outlet that sold petrol to the accused. “We are verifying with those working at the fuel outlet under what circumstances they filled petrol in bottle,” Sajjanar told PTI.

Joint Secretary of Consortium of Petroleum Dealers for South India Rajiv Amaram said outlets were authorised to sell fuel in limited quantities. He added that after the incident the state government instructed fuel outlets not to sell petrol in bottles or containers.

Call for speedy hearing

The woman’s family has called for a speedy trial, and demanded that the accused not be provided legal help, according to NDTV.

Members of the National Commission for Women, who met the family on Saturday, said prima facie the police delayed taking action in the case. The commission’s member Shyamala Kundar said she had suggested action against the guilty policemen, News18 reported.

Four men who were arrested in connection with the woman’s alleged gangrape and murder were sent to judicial custody for 14 days on Saturday.

Several other politicians reacted to the incident with Union Minister Kishan Reddy blaming the Telangana police for not dealing with the matter urgently. Congress General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi on Saturday said she was “deeply disturbed” by the brutality of the case. “As a society, we have to do far more than just speak up when these horrific incidents take place,” the Congress leader tweeted.

Telangana Governor Tamilisai Soundarajan visited the veterinarian’s home on Saturday to offer her condolences to the family.

The episode triggered protests in front of the Shadnagar police station and demonstrators chanted slogans against the accused. They demanded that the accused be publicly hanged. Police baton-charged protestors and tightened security in the area to prevent violence. A video showed protestors throwing slippers at police. There was also outrage after Telangana Home Minister Mohammed Mahmood Ali asked why the woman had first called her sister, and not the police.